Sunday, 27 May 2012

All the Things I Wish I'd Wrote

I am finally finished with junior year.  I am so, so grateful that I am done with it.

Frankly, this year, I was really stressed about my grades.  Luckily, somehow, I managed to finish with all As.

Although I was super worried about certain classes (My AP US History class, AP Chem...you know, all the good stuff), I got a fantastic compliment.  Mainly the reason that I am writing this is so I won't forget about it.

Anyway, on Tuesday, my English teacher was talking to us about our final writing exams.  She told us that in general, our essay scores weren't quite where she wanted them.  She had hoped for a lot more As, but ended up with far more Cs instead.  At this point, I knew I was one of these.  Throughout the year, I'd done pretty well on all of our timed writes; however, our final essay wasn't quite like all the essays I had written.  It was creative.  Ick.  Another one of the reasons I rarely update this blog.  This was completely unlike any of the analysis or argument papers we had written.  I'd chosen the one that most like an argument essay, but I felt like I was still pushing my luck.

On the upside, there was one paper that stood above the rest.  Mrs. Salce said that it was the best student-written paper she had ever read.  I thought, you might like to read it...


           Give a man a fish, and he will be full for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and he will be full for a lifetime.  This proverb could easily be changed to: Read a man a book, and he will enjoy for a day.  Teach a man to read, and he will enjoy for a lifetime.  However, reading brings more than simple enjoyment.  Literature carries a relevance to all in its power to relate itself to man, both young and old.  It connects us to the world – the informative and the descriptive, the real and the imaginary.  But its significance also translates to the world of education.  Destroying the use of literature in schools, centuries old or not, would be destroying the beauty of language and the importance held within.
There is much to be learned from literature of the past.  Literature unlocks the imagination and the door to different worlds, times, and ideas.  Without The Odyssey we may never have known about the different world the Greeks envisioned.  Without fairytales, little girls may never have dreamed about being princesses, or little boys slaying the dragon and becoming the hero.  There is a beauty that literature holds, which comes in drawing upon the imagination, the extraordinary, and also the descriptive.  Whether of worlds we know or of those we don’t, the detailed descriptions and emotional ties found in books serve as important reminders of our connection to the earth – past, present, future, and ideological.  The beauty that exists in the classics is part of what makes them an important educational tool.  Take Charles Dickens for example.  His descriptive narrative of the French Revolution in A Tale of Two Cities gives the reader insight as to the events and feelings of the time.  His A Christmas Carol similarly reminds readers of the importance of service and the holiday spirit due to his descriptive and elaborate diction.  The beauty of his language would be underappreciated and perhaps forgotten without introducing it to the rising generation.  Part of the reason literature is given to youth in high school is because of the meanings and writing styles it holds.  The literature that is placed in high school curriculum has its purpose and is there for the students’ benefit.
Literature holds the key to the door connecting all of mankind.  Literature’s relevance comes because it is the key.  It is the key that allows us to recognize the lessons that are meant to be learned from the past.  If we are going to get rid of reading “outdated” literature, we might as well give up learning history.  Often, it is said that history is learned to avoid repeating the same mistakes.  The same could be said for literature.  In fact, literature can provide a more personal way of looking at history.  It is one thing to learn of the events that took place during a war or the reasons for a revolution, but it is because of the way literature can convey feeling that real understanding can take place.  Someday, it will have been more than a century since the writing of some of our time’s greatest literature.  There will come a point when there will no longer be any who remember World War II or the Civil Rights Movement or even 9/11.  In the future, Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird may be the most powerful, emotional connection the world has to the Civil Rights Movement and the feelings that accompanied it.  What a shame it will be if high school students never get to know the hesitation in the court room that marked changing times, or the remarkably different values Atticus Finch held and taught his children.  The story that relates to the reader personally is the door to enlightenment.  This enlightenment is the only hope for a better future.  Improvement does not come in names and pictures, but in feelings and connection.  Literature is what binds the past to the present and prevents the mistakes of our fathers from affecting the youth.  How can one say that this is irrelevant?
            Teaching literature is important because humanity of all times is important.  It is the door to the past and the future, reality and fantasy.  It holds relevance in its emotional connections with the readers.  It holds relevance because it invokes change that is brought on by emotion and understanding.  Without the emotional connections and understanding from writing, the past is irrelevant, and its irrelevance makes it likely for it to repeat itself, defeating the purpose of remembering the past.  In many ways, literature is what binds mankind together – past, present, all.

My English teacher wrote, "Wow - you really outdid yourself! This is one of the best student papers I have ever read!"

I have the most fantastic English teacher ever.  I cannot express how great she is.  I have learned so much in the two years I have had her.  She is incredible, and coming from her, a compliment like this means a great deal.  I know that learning at her knee has helped me become a better writer.  I am so grateful to have been blessed with such a knowledgeable teacher.

1 comment: